Thursday, September 27, 2007

Academic Plans

I have been very busy lately. I've been trying to blog everyday but, evidently, that hasn't been working. I decided a few days ago, after a very long and hard inner debate, that i will not pursue my Doctorate immediately after my MA. I know, i am surprised too. I still find myself planning for it though, and it makes me realize just how committed i am to that goal. It actually feels weird to think that after next summer i'll be taking 2-4 years off from the (dream) world of academia to enter the(real) world-- does Shakespeare's green world and world of supposes ring a bell? Among other things, i want to spend time with my daughter (when you're doing your PhD you don't have time for your family, really), I want to do some writing and i want to, perhaps, start-up a business and get some cash rolling in. I am thinking about starting up my own (private) school or something along those lines. After all, i feel like that's what i should be doing for the rest of my life. The trick is-- in a corporate capitalist economy, i have been told-- how to enjoy your career while making a business out of it. Hmm, we'll see. I feel like i am mourning the loss of academic learning because i haven't quite adjusted to the idea yet. I think my decision is final though. Funny how you can't always chase your dreams. I guess, in a perfect world you could.

2 comments:

Empress Mel said...

I can't believe you will not be completing your PHD after Grad school. I understand, family comes first. Jayla ia still a baby and these are the years that she will need u most. I am proud of you. Keep your head up, U are a strong, young, beautiful black woman. We need more like u in todays society.

Jer said...

Wow, Mel! Thanks, it's so nice of you to say that. I do plan on going back for the PhD, it was a tough decision not to dive into it right away. Thanks for the kind words :)