Wednesday, December 19, 2007

'Phishing' for Identity

I received e-mails, three days in a row, asking me to activate my online banking with RBC Royal Bank or else my account will be deleted within 24hrs. And i thought that my e-mail was "protected." I am supposed to go to the link provided and enter my client card number and password. Fortunately, i know fraud when i see it, so i didn't 'click'. But what about all the people who do click? Well, here's a link to a dictionary's definition of phishing; it's the least i can do to prevent others from falling prey:

Phishing: definition, usage and pronunciation - YourDictionary.com

I won the lottery several times in the past, but never claimed any of the winnings. I also inherited millions from philanthropists all over the world, and never claimed it either. I have to say that these e-mails are usually quite convincing. But what is it about me that attracts fraud? Funny, I never get these in my Hotmail account, only my University account.

No comments: