Monday, August 6, 2007

Ramblings about Remembering

You know that you are _____ when the lonely blank pages of a book can no longer contain your (life) writings and you need the public space of the world wide web to announce who you are and what you're about. The thing is, i spend way, way, too much time inside my head for my own good. Ha! Is there anyone else out there like me? I feel a bit special, but it's a weird kind of special. I am also caught up in the modern need to record and remember and i'm not sure why. Many people thrive on forgetting, like my mom, who remembers nothing (or pretends not to). I can't help but think about the trauma of amnesia, to permanently and completely forget. Forgetting, voluntarily, would be like killing a part of yourself, wouldn't it? The task, then, is not just to remember, but to figure out what parts of yourself to kill. Some people cannot afford to forget even though memory is sometimes painful. I remember when i first got my ears pierced at around six years old; i even remember the horrid pain and the twitching and crying that ensued as my sister passed the needle and thread through my ice frozen ear, inside our outdoor kitchen. Yet, i cannot remember what i did that night or the following day. Hmmm, it is probably a good thing that we can't remember half of our experiences, which is where stories from older siblings and grandparents while you curl-up-under-a-blanket-in-the-dark is always a treat better than ice-cream! But don't we always tend to remember the really good and the really bad stuff that happened to us? I mean, who remembers the name of their 3rd grade teacher? I know i don't. So, yea, this blogging thing could be the next best thing to (the trouble of) remembering...

No comments: